Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
What Do I Do After A Fire?
Once the flames have been put out and the smoke has settled across your San Diego property, you might find yourselves asking the question, ¨what do I do now?¨ Many people have never experienced a fire damage event on their property, so they are unsure of the steps to take next. No matter what, we urge our community to call our SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego team as quickly as possible after the fire has been put out.
Our team is the local fire cleanup expert in the area and we can take of your loss from start to finish!
Down below you will be able to learn more about what to do and what not do to after a fire. Check it out!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (619) 280-2398
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.